Thursday, April 14, 2011

I DO NOT Want to be Induced!!

Ugh! Just got back from the doctor's and we had to start talking induction. I seriously do not want to be induced and I sure as hell do not want to be induced before the latest due date comes around (April 23). Basically, we have to go in for a non-stress test (NST) and to check on the amniotic fluid levels sometime early next week. If the fluid levels are OK, I should be "allowed" to go until Thursday. I am so upset about this. I'm sure everything is going to be fine with the tests, but I am livid that someone is trying to tell me when I have to have my baby by. Last time I checked this was still my body and my baby and I am really not comfortable inducing before the 23rd (I actually don't feel comfortable until April 30, which would be 1 week past my later due date).

Eric and I are both really hoping that Little Z will come on his own before late next week. I know I said I had a feeling he would come on my birthday and as much as I said it would suck to be in labor on my birthday, at this point, there is nothing I want more! It would be the best birthday present ever because it would mean I could give our son a truly med-free experience. As childish as it seems, it just doesn't seem fair - I've done everything I can to keep Little Z as healthy as possible and to prepare for a natural labor and delivery. Now, because some doctor decided his "educated guess" about when this baby should come is better/more important than what my baby and body decide is the right time for the baby to come, we have to figure out how to get Little Z to get out on someone else's timeline.

I just wish there was a doctor or midwife somewhere that would trust that my body and my baby know what they are doing. I'm all for monitoring after the due date - I'll go in every day for an NST or Biophysical Profile, or whatever they want me to do. I just wish the maternity system we have in the US would stop acting like my body is somehow broken because I don't give birth right at 40 weeks. 41 wks 3 days is AVERAGE for the the first-time mom. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that average means some come earlier than that and some come later than that, so for every baby that comes at 39 weeks, shouldn't there be a baby that comes at 44 weeks?

So this turned out to be more a vent that I was planning on, but I do feel better getting some of that out. Now your turn to help...if you have any suggestions ofr natural ways to jump start labor, let me know!! We've already tried tons of walking (5 miles/day), pineapple, spicy foods and other "fun" ways.  We're trying red raspberry leaf tea tonight, but other than that, we're out of ideas. If you have any other tips or tricks, let us know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment