and it's a BOY!! I cannot tell you how excited we are to be having little baby boy:) Annnd, while I did think that we were having a girl, I am very very happy and thankful for our little boy. Plus it sorta works into my grand plan (if you can have one for these sorts of things!) - I always always wanted to have a big brother growing up and I always thought it would be cool if whatever children I had got to have that, and now it's coming true:)
As you know, I really wanted to surprise my parents with the sex of the baby, but it didn't go off quite as I had hoped. My big plan was to make cupcakes, fill them with blue icing, frost them with white icing, then make my parents eat a cupcake to figure out what we were having. Eric thought that I should make marble cupcakes because 1. he wanted them and 2. he made some comment about how white and brown swirled together represent our baby (or something equally as thoughtful) so that I would go for the symbolism. In any case, I made said marble cupcakes, filled them with blue icing, and frosted them with white icing and lots of sprinkles (so they would be festive). I knew that my dad already knew what we were having (he found out by accident), but I was really really excited to surprise my mom, plus my Nanima and Khati Maasi were going to be there, so I thought it would be even more special. Well, apparently blue filling inside cupcakes isn't self-explanatory. When we got to my parents' house, my mom wanted to cut into a cupcake right away, so I said fine. Well, she has my Nanima cut into the cupcake and my mom is looking on, and then I had to do some prodding...what color is inside? "blue" they say. And that means..."blue?" they say. And blue is for..."boy" they say. So we're having a..."boy" they say. It was actually really anti-climactic and disappointing, I didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out and I thought it was a cute idea, but I guess I know for next time not to bother. I guess I was also hoping for more of a reaction and excitement - add all that together with hormones and you end up with a disappointed/PO'ed pregnant lady that can't stop crying (fun way to start of a visit, I know). At least my dad was excited! And Eric was fantastic - I seriously don't know what I would do without him...he always knows how to make me feel better!
In other news, we had a very productive week/weekend since finding out the sex of the baby! First, we managed to finally put up our Christmas tree on Friday! We have two sets of ornaments - blue and silver, and red and green. This year we did blue and silver in honor of our little boy and we'll do red and green next year to give our little man's first Christmas a traditional feel:) In addition, we rearranged our furniture and set up LGR's dresser. We were both super impressed with the quality and man was that thing heavy!! It does look really really nice though and I can't wait to fill it up with lots of clothes:)
Also, since finding out that we're having a boy, we were able to pick out crib bedding and nursery decor! Now this was a really big challenge - I am so not into the super cutesy cartoon characters or the nurseries that look like they were designed by a small child. I have nothing against them per se, but I just feel like those rooms are more appropriate for a toddler. For our nursery, whether it was a boy or a girl, I wanted something that was sophisticated, but still cute and kid-like. I had found some awesome stuff for a little girl's room (a pink and black damask theme and a pink black and white zebra print theme) that could easily be kid appropriate with some accessories, but still sophisticated (b/c I figure the baby doesn't care what it sleeps in or what its room likes like....that's really more for the parents at this point). For boys though, I was running into some problems though. EVERYTHING had lots of cartoon like animals and prints on them, and the ones that didn't cost like $900 for a set (and there is no way I am paying more for our child's nursery bedding than I paid for ours!). On Friday though, we found the PERFECT bedding - it was from Restoration Hardware and they also had some pretty awesome accessories to make it look like a kid lived there (like this awesome dog chair:). I was so excited that we found something we both loved and that totally fit the look we're going for. Now, we won't really get to set up the nursery properly in this apartment because we're moving about 2 months after LGR makes his debut, but I'm very excited to get it all set up in our new place, wherever that may be!
So all-in-all a very fabulous weekend:) Now with all that baby stuff out of the way, hopefully I can concentrate on my applications....
SO EXCITED FOR YOU! i think your reveal idea was cute; it sucks that it didn't work out!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry that you did get the reaction you were hoping for. I am really thrilled and excited about our very first grandson.
ReplyDeleteThe idea of revealing the sex of the baby with cupcakes was excellent-- you did a fantastic job with it-- when I saw you at home, I could not wait any longer -- so I had to have the cup cake right away! In retrospective, I should have waited till dessert time ! but you know my impulsive nature!
Look forward to welcome your bundle of joy and our grandchild and can't wait to hold, love and spoil him!
Love,
your favorite Mom.
Oops that should be a "not" before "get"--
ReplyDelete