Thursday, October 7, 2010

We're Having a Baby!

In case you haven't heard, we're having a baby! Eric and I are so so excited for this new chapter in our lives and feel so lucky that we're going to be parents soon.

Just for some background, Eric and I got married on July 17, 2010. We met in September 2007 through match.com. My girlfriends and I were tired of meeting the same types of guys over and over at happy hour and clubs so we decided to give Match a shot. I decided that since I was young and hot, I wasn't going to settle for just anyone, so I made up a list of all the superficial criteria I wanted in a guy (at least 6 ft tall, blue eyes, and of course drop dead gorgeous). I didn't respond to a single person that didn't meet all of my criteria, and since I only had pictures to go by, I didn't respond to anyone that didn't have an amazing picture (I know this sounds shallow, but it gets better). One day, I stumbled across a wink from Eric so I looked through his profile. On the surface, he met all of my criteria, but the only thing that had me on the fence was his pictures. He had one stunning picture, and one not so stunning picture. As I debated responding to him, my friend Anna weighed in - she told me that he looked so much more interesting than all the lawyers and political types I had been going out with and that I should give it shot. I figured all I had to lose was a free drink or two, so I said yes. We went on our first date on September 19, and the rest, as they say, is history:)

Now, back to the present. Before we got married, Eric and I discussed having kids and we both knew that we wanted them pretty soon. After figuring out how we could juggle work, grad school and finances, we decided that we wanted to start trying as soon as we got married. We thought it would take a couple months (well, I thought it would take a couple months - Eric was pretty confident we'd come back from our honeymoon pregnant), and we (I) were (was) completely shocked to find out we were expecting. We found out in mid August - right after our 1 month anniversary and just a week before I was scheduled to go on a 3 week business trip to Rwanda! We of course told our parents right away, but swore them to secrecy until I got back from Rwanda and had a proper appointment with the doctor to make sure everything was OK. I think Eric's mom and my dad get the award for best grandparent reaction - Dad sounded like a kid at Christmas that just found out he was going to Disney World and Mom (Eric's mom) was so happy she was in tears!

On Monday, we had our second prenatal appointment and accomplished several major milestones! First, we got to hear the baby's heartbeat. That was probably one of the most amazing things ever and it made everything feel so real ( the nausea and motion sickness and bloating made it real too, but in a different way:P). The other big milestone was our first sonogram! Seeing the baby inside of me was so incredible and so reassuring. It's really hard to imagine that there is an actual living being growing inside of you, but being able to see that just makes it that much more real. And, we definitely know that this baby will take after me in one way - it loves the camera! In the sonogram pics, LGR was waving it's hand! We'll post those in the next day or so once I remember to scan them! The sonogram technician said that LGR was very well behaved..we're crossing our fingers it will be well behaved when it arrives as well. After reviewing the sonogram, the doctor came in and talked to me and told me that my due date was wrong - originally, they thought I was due on April 6, but after checking the baby's growth, we are now expecting LGR to arrive on April 23 , 2011 (that should put to rest all questions about conception prior to marriage from a *certain* individual - you know who you are:P).  Eric always joked that it would be very convenient for him if the baby was born on my birthday since that would mean he wouldn't have to memorize a new birthday...looks like now that might be a possibility! I on the other hand, am hoping not go be delivering a child on my actual birthday - I mean I think having a child is going to be an incredible experience, and if it so happens that I have LGR on my birthday I'm not going to complain, but from what I've heard about childbirth, I think I might just prefer a romantic dinner with my husband. But if LGR does decide to come on my birthday, I think diamonds would be a great replacement for said romantic dinner (just giving you some ideas honey:) - it would definitely compensate for not being able to eat and you know, delivering a baby!

Our next prenatal appointment is on October 19. At that point, I should be nearing the end of my first trimester (I'm 11 weeks 5 days now), and according to my book, Your Pregnancy Week by Week, I should be less fatigued and many of the uncomfortable symptoms experienced during the first trimester should have dissipated. Plus, then I get to take my flu shot and go to the dentist - I think I'm long over due for both of those things! In the meantime, I think a shopping trip is in order...I think leggings, some long sweaters and some waist defining belts (while I still have a waist) are a definite must for the next couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment