At our most recent doctor's appointment last Friday, our OB was concernd about Little Z's heartrate and the possibility of IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction), so he he wrote up an order for an NST (non-stress test) and evaluation of my amniotic fluid levels. We were lucky and got an appointment with the MFM (maternal fetal medicine) group pretty quickly and went in this afternoon for our tests and ultrasound.
I wasn't really worried about anything and figured that the concern about IUGR had more to do with confusion about my actual due date. All of my ultrasounds have given a due date of April 23, yet my OB inists on going by the due date of my last missed period which is April 6 (and which I KNOW cannot be the actual due date - seriously, Eric and I both have to be in the same place/room for that to happen and since Eric was at my parents' house and I was at our place in Arlington getting prepared for all of our wedding festivities the day we supposedly conceived it really isn't possible. The earliest the due date could be is April 9/10). I was really hoping that this appointment would clear up all misconceptions and finally get us a real due date!
Our tests and ultrasound went really well though and it definitely gave us some reassurance that Little Z is doing just fine:) His heartrate was between the mid 120s and 140s and his amniotic fluid levels were great! I also found out during the NST that I was apparently having contractions. At the end, the technician asked me if I felt any contractions during that time and I told her I hadn't, which is when she informed me that I had been having some contractions duing the test...who knew! The ultrasound tech also commented on how low Little Z was, so I guess with the contractions and with his position, things are moving along just as they should be. We've decided to decline all internals (since they don't really give any information about when you will go into labor), so I don't know how dialated or effaced I am, but it is kind of reassuring to know that my body and the baby know what they are doing and are already working together to get ready for D-Day (delivery day:). Our next appointment is on Thursday, so we'll see what our OB thinks of the results of the tests. Hopefully they will put his mind at ease and we'll be able to continue onward without any problems or interventions!
FLASHBACKS. that's exactly what we went through with audrey!
ReplyDelete