Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What happened to my workouts??

Getting back to the gym after a 10 day hiatus while we were in Sri Lanka definitely hasn't been easy, but I've managed to keep up my routine for the most part since we've come back. However, my workouts just don't seem to be the same! It is incredible to me how much my intensity has gone down since I became pregnant. I used to be able to do high intensity intervals on the treadmill and run at 10.5 or 11 mph for those intervals. I used to think 6 mph was a very light jog and I could have easily kept that up for a hour or more. I used to be able to go 200+ steps per minute on the elliptical at a level 10 resistance and I used to be able to do a serious weight circuit workout for 45 minutes using pretty heavy weights.

Yesterday when I went to the gym my workout consisted of walking at 4 mph at a level 3-5 incline for 20 minutes and "running" at 5 or 5.5 mph alternating for 25 minutes and I could barely finish that "run." My weight workouts, which I used to love, have become the lowest priority for me. Now, I have to force myself to do 20 minutes a day using 5 or 10 lb weights. It's kind of ridiculous and I'm totally hoping that this is a symptom of pregnancy that will disappear quickly after I give birth!

In other news, I have my monthly OB appointment on Thursday. Now, I know I said I've come to terms with the weight gain, but I'm still kind of nervous for this weigh in, mainly because this week is restaurant week! I'm starting it off properly with a girls' night tonight at Cedar, followed by Filomena tomorrow with Eric, Tasanee, and Adam, then Smith and Wollensky on Friday for date night, and ending with brunch at Cuba Libre on Saturday! Hopefully all the extra water I'm drinking will help flush out the extra salt from eating out, but regardless, I am definitely planning on enjoying myself! I'm considering it a week long celebration for finally submitting my MBA application:)

1 comment:

  1. i am still trying to get back to consistent workouts after the holidays! it's been hard for me to get on every day of the week like i used to. it's been more like 4 days. yiiiiikes. don't worry about the pregnancy...the first post-pregnancy treadmill session i had, i totally felt like i was FLYING. it was sort of amazing.

    ReplyDelete