Yesterday was certainly an interesting day....things got super hectic at work, and I found out I have a pretty major role on a proposal, got tasked to help with a deliverable on a project, and still have to manage the project I'm currently working on! I also managed to leave my phone at home. As I got home after a particularly trafficky filled commute, I was really looking forward to my workout. Unfortuantely, I decided to check my voicemail to see if I had missed any calls during the day and sure enough I had. I got a lovely message from my OB's office telling me that my glucose levels were high from my 1 hour test and that I had to get scheduled for the 3 hour test. An elevated glucose level could be an indicator of gestational diabetes.
My mood was instantaneously dampered and I felt (and still feel) so terrible! I feel like I've tried really hard to do everything right - I still workout for 45 minutes 4-5 days a week, I watch what I eat, I really limit sweets (except for fruit - I LOVE my fruit!) and still I somehow feel like I'm already letting this kid down. I have none of the signs of gestational diabetes (GD) - no rapid weight gain, the baby is not measuring big, no high blood pressure (116/60 at my last visit), so I'm definitely shocked by the possibility of actually having it! I'm scheduled to go in for my 3 hour test on Tuesday and I'm crossing my fingers that it will go better. I felt so sick and jittery after drinking all that sugar before the 1 hour test, and now I'm supposed to drink twice that amount for the 3 hour test!
Now I haven't been a huge worrier when it comes to this pregnancy, and I'd bet good money that my mom and my aunts have worried more about my baby's gestational health than I have so far. However, when I was researching GD I learned some things that kind of freaked me out - mainly that the baby is at a higher risk for low blood sugar, a NICU stay, and jaundice. I'm actually most freaked out about the jaundice - I had it really really badly when I was an infant (like to the point of almost needed a blood transfusion), and I figured that my kid would likely be predisposed to having that anyway. But, knowing that GD could increase that risk really makes me nervous, plus the fact that having GD increases your child's risk of childhood and adult obesity. I'm also not so thrilled about how having GD increases your risk for a c-section, inductions, etc. since we are hoping for an intervention and med-free birth. Now, I'm probably freaking out over nothing and hopefully, even if I am predisposed to having GD (b/c women of South Asian decent have an increased risk factor) my diet and exercise have been helping to control it and limit its effects on Little Z. I just want to make sure that I give our little guy the best possible nutrition and environment to grow in until he is ready to make his appearance so that he has the best possible start when he does get here!
Fingers crossed that the doctor's visit goes well tomorrow and that the 3 hour test goes well next week...hopefully all this worry will be for nothing!
No comments:
Post a Comment